Jan 9, 2012

Black Beans and Rice

Black Beans and Rice
photo source: food network
A versatile and filling dish. Make using all fresh ingredients or utilize your food storage and prepare with canned, frozen and/or dehydrated items.

Black Beans and Rice 
Main Dishes - Other
Yield:  6 servings

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped fine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3 cups cooked black beans [or 2 (15oz ) cans drained and rinsed]
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes w/jalapenos
1 cup frozen corn
splash of lime juice
1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
3 cups chicken broth

 In a pot over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 4 minutes. Add the cumin,  lime juice, corn, tomatoes and black beans. Mash a few of the beans with the back of a spoon, stir well. Simmer at low heat for about 20 minutes

In another pot add the rice and the broth, bring to a boil, cover and lower the heat and cook for 20 minutes or until broth is absorbed and rice is tender.  Spoon beans over rice and enjoy, 

Random Thought: I put a bottle of anti-freeze in the freezer... let the battle begin!
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. I love this basic recipe idea... I often make something similar without the tomato/jalapenos (great with pearl cous-cous) -Harry

    ReplyDelete
  2. It ended up being a bit too spicy for my tastes (I swear I burnt my tongue) Next time I think I will replace the canned tomatoes/jalapenos with just a few fresh diced tomatoes instead.

    ReplyDelete