Dec 11, 2008

Mom would be proud

We have been truly blessed yesterday and our gas is getting turned back on after being off for almost two months. PTL The first words out of my teenager's mouth I would of guessed would have been "Horray I can take a real shower now!" Instead it was "Can we bake Christmas cookies now?" My Mom would be proud.

me and my mommy
Me and my Mommy in Nashville 2003.

Baking Christmas cookies is a tradition started by my mother. Every year since I can remember we would do a 3 day marathon baking session and make over 200 dozen cookies (yes that's 2,400 cookies!). We baked non-stop with one oven and 4 baking sheets. One of my mom's most said phrases was "No you can't go to sleep yet...the fudge isn't done!"

We would keep some then give the rest to friends, family and neighbors. Once I got married and had children of my own right before Christmas I would pack up my two girls and we would all go over Grandma's house and bake til our fingers fell off.

My mom passed away in June of 2003, she was only 58 and I fell into a bad depression. That christmas I was too sad to follow through on the tradition eventhough the girls were heartbroken I just couldn't bring myself up enough to do it. Since then we haven't missed a year, and my one daughter left at home was pretty down about missing it this year. Now we don't have to (HAPPY DANCE)

With just the two of us this year and the way the economy is, we won't be doing 2,400 LOL We will be making up a few dozen of our favorites though. We do have to skip making a few favorites because the ingredients are just way too pricey but it's okay.

Some of the ones we are planning on are Snickerdoodles, No-Bakes, Frosted Cut-Outs and Chocolate Peppermint Chews. We may also make up some Glass Candy (If I can find the candy thermometor that is).


Random Thought - It is often merely for an excuse that we say things are impossible

2 comments:

  1. As you know, I understand that feeling well. Praise God when we got ours turned back on to. I was the first one in that said real shower:)
    My mom passed away at 58 2 years ago this past december 1. I remember it like yesterday. She had cancer. She was much too young to go. I miss her madly, like you miss your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((hugs Ginger)) One day at a time, best advice there ever was.

    ReplyDelete